My view vs. Alison's on Bruce's death

Throughout the novel Fun Home by Alison Bechdel, Alison contemplates her father's untimely death and the truth behind it. The general belief was that he died in an accident in which a truck ran him over as he accidentally stepped back onto the road at the wrong time. However, Alison theorizes that her father, Bruce, actually committed suicide and intentionally jumped in front of that bus. She attributes his death to her recent coming out weeks before but I think there must've been more to his death, I think Alison might be a little disillusioned when looking back on her father's death.

While I don't think there is any significant evidence pointing to an accident or a suicide, I believe that Alison might not be viewing her father's death through an exactly objective lens. In my opinion, if Bruce's death was truly suicide, I would attribute it to the fact that the mom was organizing a divorce between the two. Towards the beginning of the novel, I agreed with Alison, however, the more I read the book, the more I thought that Alison had less of an impact on her father's death than I had initially suspected. I originally thought that Bruce died nearly right after Alison came out, but we learn later that it was a couple months after and that the two had interacted face-to-face for a week before his passing, and in these scenes, we see some bittersweet moments between the two with both acknowledging their newly open sexuality.

While I'm not exactly sure if Bruce did or did not kill himself, I would not say it's just down to Alison's coming out if his death was not accidental. However, I would say that Alison might play some part. Bruce struggles with his sexuality a lot throughout the novel, and I think that he feels he can't be as expressive about it as he would like to be. He forces down his sexuality and keeps it internal and only shares it with those who he has intercourse with. Meanwhile, Alison is able to come out as a lesbian and express her true sexuality which Bruce feels he cannot do. We see this when Bruce forces Alison to dress up in girly clothes because he can't do so. This feeling of being trapped as well as the divorce may have led to Bruce's death.

While this is definitely plausible, I think that Alison almost hopes that there is a connection there rather than just saying it was an accident or it was because of the divorce or something else. Alison expresses how she feels she didn't have as strong a connection with her father as she had hoped. I think that Alison hopes that she had some level of impact on her father or that her father cared about what she did. Alison didn't receive enough affection from her father and she wants confirmation that he genuinely cared at least some about her to the point that her coming out would cause him to take his own life. 

Although nobody will truly know the true reason behind Bruce's death, I think that there are many possibilities as to how he died and if he did commit suicide, why he did. I am not nearly as convinced as Alison that his death is connected to her coming out, as possible as it is.

Comments

  1. I agree, I think Allison is so caught up in her grief and trying to get closer to her father after his death that she feels like it's all because of her. While I'm still not sure if it was an accident or a suicide, if it was a suicide I'm sure some part of it might've had to do with Allison. But definitely not on the scale that she is envisioning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I think Allison's grief over her father's tragic death is definetly blinding her objectivity. Especially when she consults that one detail about the poet/author dude and how the age as far as days lines up too closely with her fathers (which if that's his intention why didn't he just wait the extra day or 2)-- she's def stretching her perception so she can have her own explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you I thin that Allison attempting to relate her coming out to Bruce's death was a way for her to feel closer to him. We discussed this in class, Allison seems like she is trying to finds point where her and her father insect to close the distance that she feels between them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it probably wasn't a suicide since Alison seems to be trying to create some connection with Bruce, and the divorce probably had more to do with it. There isn't really a clear explanation though so I can understand the argument for it being a suicide, I just find it more likely to be an accident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post! I also don't think that Bruce's death (if it was a suicide) was as a result of Allison's coming out. I think her coming-out actually brought them a little closer, with the last moments between them being intimate and open. On the other hand, if Bruce's death was a suicide I agree that his failing marriage probably would have a played a big part in it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love Julia💗 (as a sister)

Esther got a problem with Joan. Por que?